Strategy, Funding, Innovation and Regional Co-operation
The Iberian Rail Development conference has now taken place in Madrid. A huge success, the conference brought together the rail infrastructure managers from Spain and Portugal along with the major freight and passenger operators, to discuss and debate the future investment and development plans and find ways to overcome their current challenges.
Very ambitious plans are in store for both Spain and Portugal, with Spain’s 2015 federal budget allocating €5.1 billion to rail and €2.63 billion to be invested in Portuguese rail infrastructure by 2022.
Conference key themes:
- Rail Freight Opportunities for the Iberian Peninsula: How can Regional Cooperation and Intermodal Planning ensure that Rail is the Iberian the Freight Transport Mode of Choice?
- The Portuguese Rail Network Master Plan: Priorities and Projects
- Increasing Rail Performance through ERTMS
- Investment in Rolling Stock: Latest Innovations in Fleet Development
- Growing the Cross-Border Traffic of Freight and Passengers with Interoperability and Reciprocity
- Developing and Maintaining a High Speed Network
- Best Practice in Ensuring a Safe and Secure Rail Network for Iberia
- Next Steps for the Development of the Spanish Network
- The Future of Iberian Rail
- Port Development: Implications and opportunities for the Rail Industry
- Best Practice in Railway Infrastructure Maintenance
- Panel Discussion – Innovating for the Future Iberian Rail Network
The conference focussed on infrastructure development, operators’ rolling stock investments and innovations, as well as how to develop Iberia’s network collectively to ensure that the rail industry is more attractive than road, sky or sea. It also covered the various funding options – grants / loans and private finance.
The conference has a good balance between strategic presentations and more technical ones. It gave a good overview of the Iberian railway projects. REFER Telecom
Networking was possible and the content of the conference was really …read more.